The Charming Tyrants

The Charming Tyrants

Good Words

God didn't promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain, but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears and light for the way. - Anon

Friday, April 16, 2010

Happy Anniversary



This is about two people.  Two people, who met, fell in love and were married in the springtime.  Two people who got married on this very day in the year 1954.   Two people, so young, so happy and so much in love.  My father was ever so handsome in his suit, and my mother, a woman whose beauty was flawless.  Two people, that I'm sure, are happy still and celebrating today in heaven. 

They met on Halloween.  My father and his friends were looking for something to do.  They were too old for trick or treating, too young for parties and too non-Mormon to be included in the local singles ward activities.  One of my dad's friends said he knew this cute little red headed girl (he was sweet on her) and suggested that they go over to her house.  Upon arriving my dad knew he'd found the girl for him.  Her mother told the boys that she could go out only after she had finished the dishes.  My father volunteered to help.  Him washing dishes, her drying them and putting them away, he turned to her and said "We do this so well together we ought to get married." then she said "Okay."  Six months later they did.  Apparently it was love at first sight for my mom also.  My dad's friend later confessed that when he met the woman he would marry sometime later that same year he was reluctant to introduce her to my dad.  He didn't need to worry.  Dad was smitten.

41 years, 8 kids, 15 grandchildren (now 17) and 1 great-grandchild (now 4) later Mom went home to Jesus, she was 62.  Dad followed her there 5 years later he was 69.  It says in Psalms 90:10 "The length of our days is seventy years..."  I have always felt a little cheated somehow that they died relatively young.  But am still very, very grateful to have known them as long as I did and to have had the privilege to care for them in their last days.  However, I don't care how old you are when you lose a parent you still feel like an orphan.

So today for me is bittersweet, celebrating the love that bore fruit in springtime, and nostalgic for the loved ones lost.  Yet am grateful and hopeful, yes hopeful, always hopeful, for our someday reunion.


"Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom." Psalms 90:12














I'm linked up today, click for more stories.
Friday Photo Flashback
And here.

13 comments:

Anita's Antiques said...

Sidney,

Your parents were great people! Thanks for post it was wonderful.

Anita

Jared said...

Thanks for sharing sis

HisFireFly said...

Thank you for reflecting.

The love of your parents lives on in you!

Anonymous said...

Oh, wow. This was just beautiful. I love your parents wedding photo. You've done their memory very well. I am sure they are celebrating their love as well as yours.
-FringeGirl

Jo said...

Wow, what beautiful memories you've shared. It encourages my heart to here stories of love that endured through the ages.
You must miss them both so much.

Thanks for sharing this with us today!

Michelle DeRusha said...

That is such a sweet, sweet story. What a beautiful couple -- and their love clearly continues to impact you and your family -- a gift that keeps on giving.

Lauren said...

what a wonderful story! thank you so much for sharing the photos with us too! :)

Mary said...

What a sweet story! Thanks for stopping by. Love the sidebar: you know you're a parent when...
They are sooo true!

More Than Words said...

This was such a beautiful post!! I absolutely love that picture of them. They look so classy!! And how sweet they were later in years, too.

Muthering Heights said...

This is SO sweet! Happy anniversary to them! :)

ann.e said...

Very sweet, glad I know a bit more about your family! and just I love their cake-cutting picture :)

Annette said...

I enjoyed this post too! Very nice.

Anonymous said...

Loved your parents!! It was seeing the pic of them to know whoes site this was. =-) I found it from Annettes site.

Bonnie Hanks