The Charming Tyrants

The Charming Tyrants

Good Words

God didn't promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain, but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears and light for the way. - Anon

Friday, May 18, 2012

A Mother's Memories

I wouldn't have thought that my friend Beth was the sentimental type, so when she approached me and told me that she had saved each little outfit that she had brought her boys home from the hospital in and their first blankets and several other things including the nightgown and robe she wore to the hospital and wanted me to make them into a blanket, I was surprised.

But of course I told her yes.

I'm pleased with how it turned out and I know she is too.


You can't really see it in this picture, but I had the machine quilter add her boys names and birth dates on the big yellow square near the bottom left hand corner.


When I asked her what she wanted on the label she said she wanted it to say something about where the pieces came from, but she didn't know how to say it so I wrote a little poem.

As parents watch their little boys grow,
delighting in laughter that flows,
and antics that follow a twinkling eye,
that speaks of mischief and sometimes strife,
this quilt is meant to remind them of each little lad,
just brought home and snuggled warm
under softest cotton blankets.
Of chubby cheeks, and dimpled hands
and ten tiny toes that wiggled and squirmed in outfits worn,
keeping them warm on that cold winters morn.
-Sydney Larson

I'm linking up today with Amy for her semi-annual Bloggers Quilt Festival, hope you enjoy the show.

Amy's Creative Side


Oh, and one more thing, I posted about my friend Krista and the quilt I made for her during last years festival, her cancer has returned (metastatic Stage 4) so please would you say a prayer for her and her family.  She is on her last chemo treatment and will start taking Herceptin indefinately.  I hope her quilt is a reminder that she beat this thing once and she can do it again.

Cheers.


17 comments:

Joyce said...

This blanket is precious!

Joyce said...

I pinned this to my pinterest board because I like the idea so much and want to remember it. You might get some visitors as a result.

the domestic fringe said...

Oh, I love this! It's SO beautiful. I wish I had done something like that. You did a really lovely job. I'm sure it's very precious to your friend.

~FringeGirl

CitricSugar said...

That is pretty special! Wonderful job.

ann.e said...

awesome job - I love it!

Mom said...

lovely memories

Margaret
http://quiltsoflove.blogspot.com/

Pat Merkle said...

Wonderful quilt!

Thanks so much for linking up with TGIFF!

Jared said...

This is why you are amazing. You have a wonderful creative gift.

Hope Krista is doing ok. Prayers said.

M-R Charbonneau said...

What a wonderful momento of those special years! Great job with the quilting and the poem. Thanks for linking up with TGIFF!

Sarcastic Quilter said...

This is such a precious quilt with a truly touching label. So sweet you were able to do this for her.

Pattilou said...

Beautiful quilt. Touching story and best wishes for Krista and beating the big C.

Janet said...

Such a sweet quilt and it will hold lovely memories for your friend. Many prayers and wishes for Krista.

straythreads said...

what a wonderful memory quilt treasure those little boys they grow up way too fast
Ann

Leslie said...

this is so amazing. i have always thought i might want to do something like this but have not had the nerve to cut any of the kids clothes up.

Eileen said...

Precious remembrance quilt! What a lovely thing to do for your friend. Priceless. Thanks for sharing and have a great day

Quilting Babcia said...

What a beautiful quilt and a precious way for your friend to remember those special days.

Simply Sandy said...

What a wonderful quilt! Love the story and the poem is perfect.
I'm sending prayers to your friend. Damn cancer!