The Charming Tyrants

The Charming Tyrants

Good Words

God didn't promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain, but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears and light for the way. - Anon

Friday, May 13, 2011

Krista's Quilt

It's time once again for the Blogger's Quilt Festival, a bi-annual event that takes place over at Amy's every spring and fall.

I made this quilt for my dear friend Krista.  We have only known each other about 4 years but in that short time I consider her a kindred spirit.  In that four years she has seen her share of struggles.  One of which has been a bout with breast cancer.  She has now been in remission for a year and is on the road to a full recovery.


With the exception of the sashing and the border the top was pieced using the scarves and bandana's that she wore during her treatment.  Not long into her treatment she discovered that a fat quarter was a perfect fit.

This for her is a reminder of where she has come from and how much more she has to look forward to and is thankful for and she is glad to use the scarves to cuddle under instead of a covering for her bare head.


I enjoyed designing the top but had a few challenges.  First, because all the material had been washed and washed often, I needed to find something from my stash that had been washed and was more than a couple of years old.  Then I washed all the fabrics again, and set out drafting the design.


Second, the biggest challenge in designing this quilt was figuring the yardage requirements for the sashing.  I had intended this to be a lap quilt, but as I sewed it grew, therefore I did not have enough of the white material to put a border sash around all of the pieced blocks before adding the final border.


Finally, finding a border fabric that would tie all the different fabrics together.  I picked the batik, because of the color and the paisley design.  I am happy with finished product and I know that Krista is too.


The machine quilting was done by Stephanie McGee over at Quilt Etc. and she did a fabulous job.


Now hop on over to Amy's and check out everyone's quilts.

23 comments:

Rebekah said...

I am in tears. I think this is one of THE most INCREDIBLE quilts I have EVER seen! Wow.

Sara said...

WOW,you are a TRUE friend and what a fantastic idea to have used your friends bandanas--so precious. I love the sashing:)

Candied Fabrics said...

Absolutely amazing! You are a wonderful friend, what a piece of strength she has!

ann.e said...

that is so awesome!!!!

Anne at Film and Thread said...

What a great quilt and such a good idea to use her scarves for the quilt. You really did such a beautiful job in how you cut and pieced this. This must mean the world to her. You are a good friend!

Michelle DeRusha said...

Oh Sydney, it's so, so beautiful. What an amazing gift -- and I love the idea, making it out of the head scarves. Really, really wonderful.

mathea said...

You are a great friend and have an amazing quilt!

Karen said...

What a super idea, using the scarves. It looks wonderful. Please wish Krista all the best.

Eileen said...

What a cool quilt! How precious that you've been able to make this for your friend! Just a great story. Thanks so much for sharing and have a great day

Laurel H. said...

I thought the quilt was great, and THEN I read the story, and now I think it's just beautiful.

stitchinpenny said...

What a beautiful and thoughtful thing to do for your friend. It looks great.

Karen said...

Your quilt is certainly very special. What a wonderful way to use those fabrics. I loved reading your story.

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

I really like the randomness of this, I cant even work out how you did the blocks - I love it!

the domestic fringe said...

Wow! You're incredibly talented. This is such a beautiful and special quilt. You gave a wonderful gift to your friend. Awesome job!
-FringeGirl

Janet said...

What a lovely idea - you are an awesome friend! And the quilt turned out lovely.

Molly said...

Very special quilt! What a great friend you are and I always feel that a quilt is a tangible expression of care and love.

Julie Fukuda said...

What a special idea for a special friend and a lovely finish.

Baa-Me Kniits said...

What a beautiful gesture, I am sure it is much loved too :-)

Sarcastic Quilter said...

This is a beautiful quilt and a beautiful gesture.

Lynn said...

I clicked on your quilt image because I liked the picture. Now that I read the story behind it, I LOVE IT! Beautiful.

Krista said...

I DO love my quilt! My laptop has been on the fritz and I haven't checked my favorite blogs in weeks. Mike was finally able to fix my laptop, so I thought I'd check my favorite blogs while I have a free minute on our vacation in Orlando and what a treat to find my quilt! You are a kindred spirit, my friend :)

Tamara Hampton said...

i am a big fan of repurposed fabric and this has to be the best use of it yet! beautiful quilt!

Unknown said...

What a great idea to use her head scarves. I love it.