The Charming Tyrants

The Charming Tyrants

Good Words

God didn't promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain, but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears and light for the way. - Anon

Friday, November 5, 2010

Out of my Box

So today is the last day of the BQF hosted by Amy at Amy's Creative Side and I almost didn't make it.  I have wasted enjoyed many hours browsing through everyone's entries.   Even though the quilt I am showing off today is not the one I originally intended too, it is still one of my favorites.


One of my favorite local quilt shops does a first Saturday block class (basically a block of the month thing) and the year we did this quilt the theme was "Get Out of Your Box" and all the block patterns given to us were of differing sizes, either 6" 9" or 12" with just enough material to make a different combination of each, one month you might do a 12" block and the next you might do one or two 9" blocks and the next three or four 6" blocks, you get the idea.


I enjoyed making my block(s) each month but as the year drew to a close I started to get nervous about how I would set it together to make a complete quilt top and I must confess that my finished blocks sat in their box for more than a year before I settled on a plan.  I really love the way it turned out, but am not anxious to make another one.


After putting a white sashing with cornerstones around each block I filled in the rest using 3" squares and used up a lot of my scrap stash.  If I felt like there were too many 3" squares in one spot I did a 6" block with an appliqued flower in the middle.  I am really pleased with how it all turned out.  It was my intention to give it to one of my nieces or nephews as a wedding present but since they are approaching their thirties and not one of them has any prospects, well, except for one who is now engaged, but he has chosen a different quilt, I decided to use this one and it has graced my bed all summer.  Beside I'll be making more quilts, of that I am sure.

If you would like to see some more fabulous quilts go visit Amy's Creative Side.

6 comments:

Rebekah said...

Oh my gosh! That is CRAZY GORGEOUS!!! Now you're making me want to finish the one sitting on the bookshelf and it's piddly in comparison but it's the only one I've worked on all year. I've set my quilting aside for a little while while I was learning photography but this quilting linky is making me miss it!

QuiltSue said...

It's great. Well done on climbing out of your box! It's a super quilt.

Robin said...

Beautiful! You did a great job putting all those different sized blocks together. Thanks so much for sharing!

jessica said...

Its FABULOUS!!! You should go "out of your box" more often!!! Love your colors, really well done!

Jessie
www.designsbyjessie.com/wp/

Anonymous said...

I love, Love, LOVE your quilt!!!! You are SO talented. It's Ah-Mazing! What a beautiful job you did. It must look so pretty on your bed.
-FringeGirl

Michelle DeRusha said...

Holy cow -- you got talent, girl! Beautiful.