The Charming Tyrants

The Charming Tyrants

Good Words

God didn't promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain, but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears and light for the way. - Anon

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Ode to the Binkie (pacifier, nuk, whatever you want to call it).



Binkie, binkie
you're so fine
how I love
to have you
mine.


This is how EM thinks of his binkie, I on the other hand, hate, Hate, HATE it.  Why did we ever give it to him, didn't we learn our lesson with HT?!



(Here's HT enjoying a game with Mama and his binkie.  I thought it was cute.)

I suppose it has its pros (i.e. nothing calms a crying baby quicker, the ultimate mute button, and they are less likely to suck their thumb) but sometimes I think they don't outweigh the cons.  For example he can't fall asleep with out it, therefore when it falls out of his mouth as it inevitably does he wakes up and cries for it.  I was up 4 times the other night plugging the stupid thing back in.  He needs to learn to self soothe like all the books recommend.  I really want to throw the stupid thing out, just go cold turkey.  Papa can't figure out why I don't, then I could quit whining about it.  I really don't want a thumb sucker, a binkie you can take away but a thumb, you really shouldn't.  Nope, not a good idea.

We took HT's away when he turned one and after about a week he finally started sleeping through the night at least more nights than not.  He still has his moments.

So as of today I am going to start limiting its use, I may just go cold turkey!
(I want my sleep!)

We shall see.

A couple of goof balls!

I'm done whining now.  Thanks for listening.  
I think I'll go have a coke (my pacifier).  

1 comment:

Hunca Munca said...

Hang in there. The binkie can be a real asset, a tool in your toolbox when you really need one. I think taking it away around 1-2 is fine. But you're the mommy, you decide. I was dreading Sam's withdrawals when we took his away, but he did totally fine. Good luck!