The Charming Tyrants

The Charming Tyrants

Good Words

God didn't promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain, but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears and light for the way. - Anon

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Sweet!


Hello, my name is Mama . . . and I'm a sugaraholic.

It's not easy admitting that I am addicted to sugar.  Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery, right?  But if the stuff didn't taste so good we wouldn't eat it.

Or would we?

Hmmm.

It has been days, hours, okay minutes since my last fix.

But, let's not think about that right now, mmkay?

Yeah . . .

So when a dear friend asked if the boys and I wanted to join her on a tour of the Sweet's Candy factory, we said, "Yes, please."

The whole place smelled like chocolate and sugar, sweet delicious yummy sugar and chocolate.

Did I mention the chocolate?

Anyway . . .

On our little tour we got to see how they turn that wonderfully crystalized white confection into all sorts of delightful treats, like jelly beans and taffy and cinnamon bears and chocolate coated creations, like orange sticks and ones with nuts and caramel and nougat.  I didn't see any chocolate coated taffy or jelly beans but there were chocolate coated cinnamon bears.  Enough to send a diabetic into a sugar coma and/or make your dentist a rich man.  We got to watch pieces of peanut clusters get a chocolate bath and see large drums full of taffy being put into bins and taken to the next stage in the process.  They even gave us a little sample.  We then got to see the completed product whiz by on conveyor belts where they were cut up and wrapped then sent off to another conveyor belt to be packaged.  The kids were fascinated.  They make over 100 different varieties of jelly beans and taffy.  They wouldn't let us take our cameras into the factory so I wasn't able to get any pictures of the candy making process, but they do have an online tour here if you're interested.

HT told me he is going to be a candy maker when he grows up.  Apparently sugar trumps medicine, he no longer wants to be his pediatrician.

Bummer.

Aren't we fetching in our candy maker head gear.


HT decided he liked his so well he wanted to leave it on.


Our friend gave each of us two dollars to buy ourselves a treat.  It didn't take HT long to decide on what he wanted, but it cost more than $2, so we pooled resources and bought them to share.


EM was too busy trying to sample every piece of taffy he could get his hand on.


I have obviously passed my sugar loving ways onto my children, not so sure that's a good thing.

Hmmm . . .

4 comments:

Susan DiMickele said...

I have done the same thing. My rationale? There are worse vices.

Diane said...

That place looks like Heaven on earth! :O)

the domestic fringe said...

Now that's my kind of a field trip! Skip the museums and head right to the candy factory...bet the kids were in a sugar-fortified heaven. Glad you had fun.
~FringeGirl

Joyce said...

My oldest would have been in 7th heaven. Just this weekend I asked her if she liked a particular kind of candy and she replied, "Name one candy I don't like."

: ) Enjoy your week!