The Charming Tyrants

The Charming Tyrants

Good Words

God didn't promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain, but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears and light for the way. - Anon

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

A Thankful Hodgepodge

I'm thankful for the hodgepodge today if for no other reason it gives me something to blog about since I have nothing else to blog about, so as long as you're here you might as well sit back, relax and read on.  You'll thank me later.


1.  Let's start with something controversial . . . dressing or stuffing?  What is it called at your house and what's included in your recipe . . . cornbread? oyster? sausage? chestnuts?

I won't be dressing the turkey with any stuffing this year, my sister is doing the cooking.  The only stuffed dressing I have made is the kind where I try to stuff my oversized self into my dressing every day.  I don't think you want my recipe for that.  And stuffing made with cornbread is just so wrong, so, so, wrong people.

2.  Who do you sometimes compare yourself to?

I try not to make comparisons, they always seem to come out badly with me on the short end of the stick.  And since we are being thankful today, I'm thankful for who I am.  Others  have told me that I am a lot like my mother and I'm okay with that.

3.  When were you last inside an airport?

August.  Visited the in-laws and had a wonderful time.  I am thankful to have such loving, accepting in-laws.

4.  What is one side dish that must absolutely be included in a turkey dinner?

Mashed potatoes and gravy.

5.  What Christmas song do you dread hearing?

The one with the dogs barking jingle bells.  I'm not really a dog person but am thankful that other people are, let them listen to them barking on the radio.

6.  If someone approaches you and asks for money do you give it to them?  Do you drop money "in a tin cup" that belongs to a person on the street?  Do you have a specific charity you support during the holiday season and/or year round?

Rarely, but my husband generally will.  Although I did give someone bus fare the other day.  I have been known to buy someone a sandwich or put gas in someones car tank and besides our regular giving to the church we have anonymously left presents on the door step of those in need during the holiday season.  We have been given so much and I am very grateful for what has been given.  I'm a big believer in paying it forward.

7.  Share a favorite Thanksgiving memory.  If you live in a country that doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving share a favorite memory associated with food.

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday and not because every so often it falls on my birthday as it does this year, but because it is about nothing more than giving thanks and I remember one such occasion when everyone was home.  I don't remember the gifts or the food or if there was cake in addition to the other desserts what I remember is the fellowship and the camaraderie between family and friends as we celebrated our blessings.

8.  Insert your own random thought here.

I read this today and was inspired to remember what I already have.  I won't repeat Sara's list here but wanted to add my thanks for/to my family and friends.

Your ever grateful servant,
Charming's Mama

 ". . . O Lord my God, I will give thanks to You forever."
Psalm 30:12



5 comments:

Theresa said...

Happy Birthday. Our 10th wedding anniversary happens to fall on Thanksgiving this year :) Happy Thanksgiving and enjoy your special day.

Cathy said...

Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Birthday!

Joyce said...

Happy birthday! Enjoy your Thanksgiving too...it's my favorite holiday too: )

Mary said...

Thanksgiving is DEFINITELY my favorite holiday!
Happy Birthday!

Susan DiMickele said...

Very good information here! No cornbread in the stuffing please!

Hey, you WON the book There's Something About A Boy! Email me your address and I'll drop it in the mail!